Hello Isabel, I completely agree with your statement, I believe so many of us have been able to learn a lot about teaching ELL students from this course. I also agree with you, I think an important factor in ELL student’s success is the way a teacher treats them, or like you said, might punish them. Students can easily become discouraged when they are punished despite their efforts, and this is no different for ELL students. I also liked your statement that ELL students should never lose their socialization time as punishment. Wright states, “Sociocultural theory, then, gives much greater emphasis to the role of speaking and collaborating in learning a second language…” (pg. 58, 2015). Like you said, it is essential for students to develop their English through socialization and should not be punished, especially by having their socialization time taken away, for not being able to complete an assignment or not doing well on an assignment. Taking away their time to socialize would only hurt their language development more and discourage them from learning English and putting forth effort again.
Hello Isabel, I completely agree with your statement, I believe so many of us have been able to learn a lot about teaching ELL students from this course. I also agree with you, I think an important factor in ELL student’s success is the way a teacher treats them, or like you said, might punish them. Students can easily become discouraged when they are punished despite their efforts, and this is no different for ELL students. I also liked your statement that ELL students should never lose their socialization time as punishment. Wright states, “Sociocultural theory, then, gives much greater emphasis to the role of speaking and collaborating in learning a second language…” (pg. 58, 2015). Like you said, it is essential for students to develop their English through socialization and should not be punished, especially by having their socialization time taken away, for not being able to complete an assignment or not doing well on an assignment. Taking away their time to socialize would only hurt their language development more and discourage them from learning English and putting forth effort again.
ReplyDelete