Thank you for sharing your honest reflection. I can relate to some of your feelings. Being an English Language Learner myself, a lot of the strategies mentioned in this class were very familiar to me. I understood what they were and how efficient they were because I was taught using those same strategies. I think that this creates a deeper connection to ELL students. In particular, you mentioned that students should be allowed to interact with peers. According to Wright (2015) “The most important and beneficial listening and speaking that students will do is through interaction with the teacher, their fellow ELLs, and proficient English speakers within the sociocultural contexts of their classroom, school, and neighborhood. (p. 170). As future educators it is important to teach our students using strategies that will benefit them. Using classroom interactions will help ELL students develop their oral language development. Thank you for sharing your reflection. It has been a pleasure learning with you this semester.
Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: research, theory, policy, and practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing.
Hey Yerali, yes I believe that the classroom is where the students make the most of their learning.I also think that we have benefited a lot from this class because of the strategies that we have learned. I know that you can identify with them and s can I which really makes it easier to know what strategies to use. I love that this class showed us how to take different strategies and connect them with the diverse population of ELLs that we will have as teachers. “English Language Learners (ELLs) are the fastest growing demographic in the U.S schools, and most teachers and administrators around the country can expect to find ELLs in their classrooms” (Wright 2015 pg. 5).
Thank you for sharing your reflection with us! I really related to a lot of things that you talked about, like when you said that English is a hard language to learn. Wright pointed out that many parts of English -like grammar can be hard for students to understand because of the complexity of the language. Also, what you said about the importance of practicing speaking in the classrooms is something valuable to take away from this course. Like you said students face situations in which they are isolated from the rest of the classroom, and that really is not helping further their knowledge of the English language. IWright states, "According to cognivist views of second language learning, when students are in situations where they must communicate with others and create comprehensible output, they may become aware of gaps in their developing language and may be pushed to pay more attention to input containing what they need to successfully communicate with others(p.168)". Speaking can really help connect the dots and help the English leaner develop skills.
Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: research, theory, policy, and practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing.
Yes I think that I learned how to teach me ELLs English through their classmates. I honestly believe that students will learn English better when they get that time to interact with others on conversation. Wright class this "Language socialization, refers to the process to which individuals acquire the knowledge and practice that enables them to participate effectively in a language community"(Wright 2015 pg.58). Another thing I believe we learned was that students need small group cooperative language. If the we identify with the students then we know that they hate talking in front of all the class. Why not make it easier and have them communicate in small groups. "ELLs may feel more comfortable speaking with their peers in the small group...(Wright 2015 pg.170).
reference Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
Hey Isabel, I could not agree more when you said that ELLs need to talk to general education students in order to help them learn English. Even though I do not speak any other languages besides English my friends that speak Spanish told me when they were young this is the main way they learned. Which was through social interaction with peers who's first language is English or from social interaction with people around them in public. As Wright states ""Language socialization, refers to the process to which individuals acquire the knowledge and practice that enables them to participate effectively in a language community" (pg.58). Students being able to get that time to socialize I feel as if it also boosts their confidence level. I feel like it does not matter what language you are learning having that confidence when you speak is a huge part of social interaction.
thank you for this Its a humbling to see someone put themselves in the place of the student and not the teacher. I love that you tried to understand and learn the way a ELL student does. Its exciting for me to know that future teachers like you want to look at the root of the problem to fix it for all students instead of just fixing the problem in you classroom. I completely agree with you in working not only with the entirety of the student but also his/her culture. like wright said "Knowing a student’s ethnicity and country of origin, for example, allows the teacher to incorporate appropriate multicultural education strategies and techniques into the curriculum” (p. 17)" I feel that as a future teacher we have so much more duties than just to teach, and learning who , where , and why your student learns and acts the way they do is a big part of it.
Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: Research, theory, policy, and practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing
Hello Isabel,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your honest reflection. I can relate to some of your feelings. Being an English Language Learner myself, a lot of the strategies mentioned in this class were very familiar to me. I understood what they were and how efficient they were because I was taught using those same strategies. I think that this creates a deeper connection to ELL students. In particular, you mentioned that students should be allowed to interact with peers. According to Wright (2015) “The most important and beneficial listening and speaking that students will do is through interaction with the teacher, their fellow ELLs, and proficient English speakers within the sociocultural contexts of their classroom, school, and neighborhood. (p. 170). As future educators it is important to teach our students using strategies that will benefit them. Using classroom interactions will help ELL students develop their oral language development. Thank you for sharing your reflection. It has been a pleasure learning with you this semester.
Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: research, theory, policy, and practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing.
Hey Yerali,
Deleteyes I believe that the classroom is where the students make the most of their learning.I also think that we have benefited a lot from this class because of the strategies that we have learned. I know that you can identify with them and s can I which really makes it easier to know what strategies to use. I love that this class showed us how to take different strategies and connect them with the diverse population of ELLs that we will have as teachers. “English Language Learners (ELLs) are the fastest growing demographic in the U.S schools, and most teachers and administrators around the country can expect to find ELLs in their classrooms” (Wright 2015 pg. 5).
Hello Isabel,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your reflection with us! I really related to a lot of things that you talked about, like when you said that English is a hard language to learn. Wright pointed out that many parts of English -like grammar can be hard for students to understand because of the complexity of the language. Also, what you said about the importance of practicing speaking in the classrooms is something valuable to take away from this course. Like you said students face situations in which they are isolated from the rest of the classroom, and that really is not helping further their knowledge of the English language. IWright states, "According to cognivist views of second language learning, when students are in situations where they must communicate with others and create comprehensible output, they may become aware of gaps in their developing language and may be pushed to pay more attention to input containing what they need to successfully communicate with others(p.168)". Speaking can really help connect the dots and help the English leaner develop skills.
Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: research, theory, policy, and practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing.
Hey Ana,
DeleteYes I think that I learned how to teach me ELLs English through their classmates. I honestly believe that students will learn English better when they get that time to interact with others on conversation. Wright class this "Language socialization, refers to the process to which individuals acquire the knowledge and practice that enables them to participate effectively in a language community"(Wright 2015 pg.58). Another thing I believe we learned was that students need small group cooperative language. If the we identify with the students then we know that they hate talking in front of all the class. Why not make it easier and have them communicate in small groups. "ELLs may feel more comfortable speaking with their peers in the small group...(Wright 2015 pg.170).
reference
Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
Hey Isabel, I could not agree more when you said that ELLs need to talk to general education students in order to help them learn English. Even though I do not speak any other languages besides English my friends that speak Spanish told me when they were young this is the main way they learned. Which was through social interaction with peers who's first language is English or from social interaction with people around them in public. As Wright states ""Language socialization, refers to the process to which individuals acquire the knowledge and practice that enables them to participate effectively in a language community" (pg.58). Students being able to get that time to socialize I feel as if it also boosts their confidence level. I feel like it does not matter what language you are learning having that confidence when you speak is a huge part of social interaction.
ReplyDeleteHi Isabel!
ReplyDeletethank you for this Its a humbling to see someone put themselves in the place of the student and not the teacher. I love that you tried to understand and learn the way a ELL student does. Its exciting for me to know that future teachers like you want to look at the root of the problem to fix it for all students instead of just fixing the problem in you classroom. I completely agree with you in working not only with the entirety of the student but also his/her culture. like wright said "Knowing a student’s ethnicity and country of origin, for example, allows the teacher to incorporate appropriate multicultural education strategies and techniques into the curriculum” (p. 17)" I feel that as a future teacher we have so much more duties than just to teach, and learning who , where , and why your student learns and acts the way they do is a big part of it.
Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: Research, theory, policy, and practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing