Skip to main content

Interview with ELL teacher.

     Getting to interview Mrs. Oliver was a lot of fun! I really learned a lot on and off camera (during the interview and after). In her interview Mrs. Oliver begins with talking about the students that she has in her class. She states that she has LEP students. According to Wright LEP students are students "whose difficulties in speaking, reading, writing and understanding the English may be sufficient to deny the individual … the ability to meet the states (pl) ...on state assessments...ability to successfully achieve in classroom where language of instruction is English...opportunity to participate in society"(Wright Ch.1 Pg.3). Mrs. Oliver talks about how the students struggle with the different words that are said the same in English but have different meanings. I have to 100% agree with her. I had that same problem when I was learning English and I believe that was the biggest challenge that I faced. Mrs. Oliver also talks about the test that she administers to the students. In Wrights book he says that "rubrics used must be simpler than that of the teachers"(Wright Ch.6 Pg.142). Mrs. Oliver stated that she had to simplify the student's exams in order to help them succeed. I also agree with this because I do not believe that a student that does not know the English language should not be test the same way as the students that are native to the English language.  Over all, I believe that Mrs. Oliver hit a bunch of key points that teachers and even districts should look at and change for ELLs. I also believe that Mrs. Oliver gave great advice to give the students love and patients. She is an incredible teacher and I can't wait to learn more from her.   

Comments

  1. Hello Isabel, thank you for your interview! She mentions in the interview that she sometimes needs to alter the tests in order to best fit her students needs. I think that is an amazing accommodation that can truly make or break a child’s success in the classroom. Wright states, “In partial recognition of the problems involved in testing ELLs, NCLB simply mandated that ELLs be assessed in a ‘valid and reliable manner’ through the use of ‘reasonable accommodations’,” (pg 129, 2015). Although there is no clear rule that says how to accommodate an ELL student best, it sounds like the teacher you interviewed is trying her hardest to ensure she does that. The teacher I interviewed also stressed the importance and need for accommodations for ELL students, something I deeply agree with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it is fantastic that she is really adapting to the students problems. She is one of the few teachers I know that actually follow the students IEP's. I don't believe that the schools that I have subbed at or taught at as a student teacher have had a program in place for the ELL's they were more like thrown into the classroom with general ed student and a general ed teacher. This one school though that Mrs. Oliver teaches at is big son ELL's and even has pull-outs for the ELL students. "Pull out ESL, is a commonly used model, particularly in elementary schools where ELLs make up a small portion of the total school population"(Wright CH.5 Pg.107).

      Delete
  2. Hello Isabel, thank you so much for taking the time to interview Ms. Oliver for us. It was very insightful to learn about how ELL students grow in English language development through the perspective of an educator. It is interesting to note that English uses many homophones that are confusing for ELL students, just as Ms. Oliver states there are words such as: to, too, and two. According to Wright (2015), “providing effective language and content instruction for ELLs requires a basic understanding of language,” (p. 34). It was also fascinating to hear the how the students’ progress in their English language proficiency throughout the year. Once again, thank you for sharing your interview with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have actually observed Mrs. Oliver and many of her colleagues and they are doing a great job in trying to teach the students the different types of same words and their meanings. I see them working with word walls, flash cards and even different sentences that have to do with the students background or life. They try to make it as fun and simple as possible because the English language is hard and frustrating to learn. "Providing effective language and content instruction for ELLs requires a basic understanding of language”(wright Ch.2 Pg.34).

      Delete
  3. Hi Isabel,
    Thanks for sharing tips from Ms. Oliver! I agree, the most important modification to make with English Language Learners is simplifying the language on important things that can better help these students understand it. Rubrics is a great example. Rubrics are often written for the teacher to use to grade work, however, it is beneficial to simplify the language so ELLs can better understand the material. Yes! You aren't the only one. According to Wright (2015), students struggle the most with phonology (pg. 31). It's only normal to struggle with understanding the meaning of a word that you know as something else. I am so glad Ms. Oliver shared some helpful tips! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that rubrics can be very beneficial but only when a teacher that knows there students make it. Being able to have a good rubric consists of you knowing your child and what they are capable of doing. You also have to remember that not all students learn the same so all the rubrics must be unique and appropriate for the student and grade level. " The most effective use of rubrics entails going over the rubric with students before they start working on the task"(Wright Ch.6 Pg.141)

      Delete
  4. Isabel,

    Thank you for sharing your video! It is evident that Mrs. Oliver has had a great amount of experience working with ELLs. As students struggle with words that sound the same in both languages, but have different meanings, it is important for them to build their vocabulary. Wright states, “Vocabulary development should be one of the main components of daily ESL instruction, with further development through sheltered content-area instruction” (2015, pg. 160). As students work to improve their vocabulary, this will allow them to understand new concepts with a bit more ease.

    Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment